Sunday, January 18, 2009

Trip to Peru


Here's a picture of Grant at the juice stand. I don't know how it happened, but this glass of juice-- just orange--- was probably the best glass of orange juice I've ever had. Grant says its the oranges---just sweeter. No styrofoam cups--- a real glass full of sweet, delicious orange juice. I loved how he used the peels as decoration. It was fun and demonstrative of the slower pace of life. People stop and enjoy their drinks or food---not grab and run like we are used to here in the States.





This was the view leaving Lima on the Pan American Highway. This was taken from the window of the bus. Poverty is everywhere and I couldn't really tell if these homes were inhabited or not. It seemed that they weren't. My guess is that the recent earthquakes probably left them uninhabitable. But, regardless, living conditions in Peru are nothing like what we are accustomed to here in the US. Basically the Pan American Highway runs along the coast, with ocean on one side and desert mountains along the other. The only green you see is due to irrigation. I did not realize that Peru is one of the most arid places on Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment