Friday, January 30, 2009

Colca Valley dancers

The evening we stayed in Chivay we had dinner which included local music and dancers. They did three different dances and I wish I knew the names of the dances and their meanings. I'm sure they had some connection to the history and legend of the area.
















This is the band. I enjoyed their music. I thought the bass player on the back had more of the Amerindian look than the others.











These are pictures of Grant participating in the final dance. In the dance, the girl tempts the guy with the orange (seemed like Adam & Eve except with an orange) and then when he gets the orange, he dies.



Here she hits him with a whip. It does not revive him.



Then she dances over his head and poof, he is revived.





No comments:

Post a Comment