Saturday, May 2, 2009

Ollantaytambo

I have been remiss in completing my blog about my trip to Peru. Life goes on and there are so many pictures to take and things to do. But, I do want to finish the story, so hopefully I will complete the postings in a more timely manner.


This picture shows the main entrance to the temple of Ollantaytambo. It was built by the Inca Pachacuti, but is probably most well known because this is where Manco Inca retreated after his defeat at Sacsayhuaman. Manco Inca actually held off the Spaniards here and when you look at this entrance, it's easy to see how. There are 200 steps to the top! One of the Spaniards main advantages over the Incas was horses and the horses offered no advantage on these steps. That put the Spaniards more in line with the Incas. When the Spaniards advanced on Ollantaytambo, they were bombarded with stones thrown by thousands of Inca warriors. They were unable to gain any advantage and finally retreated. Manco Inca finally left Ollantaytambo when he felt it was to his advantage to lead his attacks from a more remote location further into the jungle.

This wall of pink granite at Ollantaytambo is considered to be one of the finest examples of Inca architecture in existence. It appears to be the beginning of a room never finished, probably because of the Spanish invasion. The stones are huge and smooth and fitted together amazingly.
Behind the wall, on the side of the mountain, you can see ruins of Inca storehouses. The Inca (actual name for the leader) never wore the same outfit twice (Paris Hilton would be proud) and changed outfits several times a day.
In this close up, you can see some of the detail that was begun in the wall. One that you see in the center is the beginning of a chakana cross, a symbol of the Incas. It has 12 corners, representing the 12 months; 4 arms, which represent the compass points; 3 steps on each arm, which represent the 3 tiers of the Inca world; and the hole in the center, which represents Cusco, the center of the world for Incas.

One view looking down from the top....
This was a series of narrow steps which led down and after the light rain, it was very slick. There was no rail and I was feeling a little unsteady descending them with my camera in one hand and nothing to hold onto.
(Those little black dots at the bottom are cattle.)






Another view looking down from the top. You can get an idea from this viewpoint of the advantage the Inca held over the attacking Spaniards here at Ollantaytambo.



2 comments:

  1. That ladder up the mountain is amazing. Your pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Robbin's Mama! I love taking pictures and it was hard for me to not constantly take pictures on this trip, but my son kept telling me to put the camera away. I keep thinking of the pictures I missed. But, I enjoy the ones I have---all 1200+ of them!!!!
    Thanks for following my blog!

    ReplyDelete